Sunday, May 2, 2010

Waimate, 12 August, 1914

Dear Father,
I have enlisted for Service in the Expeditionary Force, but do not know as yet whether I have been accepted. I go to Timaru on Friday for medical examination and will wire you if I am accepted and write full particulars. I will probably know by the time you receive this. There are some sixty enlisting from Waimate. Major Wain has been appointed second in command of the Sth Canterbury forces.
Until Friday. Best Regards to all.
Your affectionate son,
Rawei

Notes: Max was working as a banker in Waimate. England officially declared war against Germany on 3 August, 1914, so he enlisted as soon as enlistments began. He was 22 years old at the time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey great Jen, so pleased to get a look in at these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    What a great idea - I'm interested on the family front and the history front. (In fact, doing my degree in NZ history was the only thing that kept me at Varsity and slogging away at the Law degree). ALso like the reference to Waimate - lots of great people come from there (including all my family!).

    Love MAry

    ReplyDelete